Graeme

Default Silicone sealant

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Graeme" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Graeme" wrote in message

Just fitted a new bath and there is a gap between the bath and the

two
end
walls of approx 1.5cm. Will Silicone fill this size gap, and to what

depth?
Or should I use some other type of filler with a silicone 'top

coat'?
When the walls have been tiled, I'll be adding an L shaped seal

anyway,
but
I thought the extra sealant/filler would add to rigidity/stability.
Thanks.

For a gap that width I'd recommend using a bath seal strip which will

sit
on the wall
and you put your tiles over it.

Have a look at this page:

http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/Plastic_Trims.html

I'd already looked at these but am not totally convinced. Wouldn't

slight
movement in the bath cause stress on the tiles? I guess I was hoping

that
filling the gap with silicone would add stability. The bath doesn't move
that much, in fact after screwing the legs to the floor, and a couple of
wall brackets, I only know it does move a little because I've _tried_ to
move it.

Draw a line on the wall with a pencil exactly where the top edge is, then
fill the bath with water and draw another line - you'll be amazed how far

it
moves. A bath full of water weighs a huge amount !

The bath itself flexes, the floor will go down a bit, and the leg

structure
will compress - it all adds up. Best case is a cast iron bath on a

concrete
floor. Worst case is an acrylic bath on a chipboard floor !

I had assumed that the bath would move a.little depending on the amount of
water and people (;-) that are in it. I did your experiment of drawing a
line with the bath empty, and then full. The lines are in exactly the same
place! Not 0.5mm difference. This is an acrylic bath on chipboard (although
the bath's feet are directly over the joists).