Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 20:26:54 -0400, "Upscale" wrote:

"World Traveler" wrote in message news:7Z_xe.15717

Hats off to our local BORG -- Our HD has electric carts for those that

need
them, and at least one person on the sales staff uses a powered

wheelchair.
HD is very good about providing services to handicapped customers, and

also
very good at hiring staff with special needs as well.

Agreed. One of the HD stores I go to has at least two wheelchairs available
for those that need it and at least one person working there who uses a
wheelchair. He works in the woodworking tools section. The washrooms there
are wheelchair accessible too. This is Canada I'm talking about so there
aren't any ADA rules in effect to guarantee this stuff, at least not yet.

Upscale,

Just out of curiosity, have you had any significant issues with
places not accomodating wheelchairs, despite not having an ADA type act? I
ask because I would expect that most businesses would make reasonable
accomodations just as good business. Having been involved in a
construction project at one church where the number of required handicapped
spaces was absurd relative to our known requirements, and now being
involved in another construction project at a different congregation where,
if we follow the rules for the building capacity, we will be ridiculously
under our requirements for such accomodations, I have found that the "big
hammer solves all problems" approach of government fiat is not always the
best approach to solving problems.