Using a sound blanket to reduce noise is an interesting idea. I didn't
know that there is such a thing called sound blanket. Nevertheless, I
doubt that it will work because we cannot cover the whole air
compressor, we still need to leave many room for venting air, and the
noise will come right out.

I have been living in my house for over 5 years. Therefore, it is not a
new house, and this is where the problem is. If it had been a new
house, it should have a proper attic, and I would have no problem
asking people to run ductwork to the second floor of my house, and I
would have a central air-conditioner installed a couple years ago.

I didn't realize that some hotels still use window air conditioners.
The last motel I went to already had central air conditioning. I guess
I have not been doing a lot of traveling in my life.

Yes, I have been using a pair of soft ear plugs since we start turning
on the window air conditioner in early summer. But I would much rather
not wearing them if I can. Their use simply takes away the pleasure of
sleeping. I guess this is a personal preference. I am sure that many
people have no problem wearing ear plugs to sleep.

Jay Chan

My old Goodman 3T out side condenser measure 88 db at 10 feet and 78 db at
15 feet where my patio was. My brothers was over a 100 before we put the
sound blanket on it.
There are companies that make sound blankets for the compressors. They will
help ~ 4-8 db maybe a bit more.
It may take some time for you to get used to the new environment. I have the
same problem when I travel. Some window shakers in some hotel rooms are
hideous. I carry a set of soft ear plugs for those nights.