Nathan Gant

Yeah, 2 cycles suck bigtime! I've read that 2-cycle motors are banned in
certain areas in California - makes sense to me, they have twice the exhaust
stoke of 4-cycle so there is definitely an air pollution issue here. Also
noisier than 4-cycle. I bought the 4-cycle Troy-bilt weedeater, too. Yes,
it is heavier but I worked with 2 cycle weedeates for too many years, sick
of the fumes, noise, grease, I'd never go back now. I can't think of any
reason why you'd want to have a 2 cycle motor when 4 cycles are getting more
common for lawn work now.

"Kevin Ricks" wrote in message
news

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Because I've been tempted to buy some of the new Honda 4 cylcle
engine-powers garden equipment, and until recently the really small
engines have always been 2 cycle. Or at least I think they have.

Dean

Just bought a 4 cycle Troy-Bilt string trimmer and I am happy with it so
far. Here are some things I have found.
It weighs about 1 pound more than the 2 cycle model (as stated in

brochure).
The 4 cyc units cost about $60 more than similar 2 cycle models.
The 4 seems to vibrate a bit more, but not too bad.
It seems quieter than the 2, but I still wear ear plugs.
After using the 4, my hair & cloths don't smell like burnt oil gas mix.
My owners manual states that a valve clearance adjustment must be done

every
so often. 10 hrs 1st time - 25 hours after that. Same for oil changes.

I went to the 4 because I was tired of having to mix oil/gas. I have 3
different things with 2 cyc engines, and all 3 required different mix

ratio.

Kevin