Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:05:18 -0500, the opaque Tom Banes
spake:

Tightening up the mouths on both a #3 and #5 Stanley. Want the #3 at
about .020 and the #5 at about .125. In both cases the frog adjusting
screw bottoms out befoe I get the mouths that tight, with just a hint
of iron below the sole. So I just took the screws out and moved the
frogs forward manually. That worked fine, but it would be nice to use
the screws for more precise adjustment.

Question 1 - Is this "too long" screw normal? I suspect it may due to
the irons (both original Stanleys, ca. 1930s) being short from many
honings - likely?

Two things would normally cause something like that. First, if the
plane was refinished, excess paint could build up in the frog holddown
holes. Second, the excess sanding on the frog and its track could
make the standard screws appear too long. You can check for the first
and repair that.

Question 2 - I can fix it by either shimmimg under the adjustment yoke
(moving it further aft) ot grinding 3 or 4 threads off the adjustment
screws. Which is preferable? BTW, these are both users, not
collectables, so staying original is not way up there.

THREE OR FOUR THREADS? Something's missing there or the wrong frogs
are in those planes, Tom. Shimming the frog might be my choice.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming