Murdo

Default Silicone sealant

Graeme,

I had a similar situation and used a bath seal as suggested by BigWallop -
i.e. seal with tiles over it. In my case it was an acrylic bath on
traditional floorboards. The only precaution I took was to fill the bath
with water before fitting the seal and putting on the tiles - when the tile
cement had dried, I emptied the bath. That was 5 years ago and I've had no
problems at all. The bath does settle down with the weight of the water,
but the seal is designed to compensate a certain amount. In my case, I've
seen no evidence of stress on the bath or tiles. I'd use it again.

Murdo

"Graeme" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Graeme" wrote in message

Just fitted a new bath and there is a gap between the bath and the two

end
walls of approx 1.5cm. Will Silicone fill this size gap, and to what

depth?
Or should I use some other type of filler with a silicone 'top coat'?
When the walls have been tiled, I'll be adding an L shaped seal

anyway,
but
I thought the extra sealant/filler would add to rigidity/stability.
Thanks.

For a gap that width I'd recommend using a bath seal strip which will

sit
on the wall
and you put your tiles over it.

Have a look at this page:

http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/Plastic_Trims.html

I'd already looked at these but am not totally convinced. Wouldn't slight
movement in the bath cause stress on the tiles? I guess I was hoping that
filling the gap with silicone would add stability. The bath doesn't move
that much, in fact after screwing the legs to the floor, and a couple of
wall brackets, I only know it does move a little because I've _tried_ to
move it.