Tom Banes

Then go look at Lee Valley's site, at the apron plane, and the
adjustable mouth block plane. Go visit Lie Nielsen, and read up on
their block planes.

Then grab you hat and wallet for the ride down the slippery slope.

An informed addict is still an addict. ;-)

Patriarch,
new owner of a sweet, newly arrived, Steve Knight microsmoother in
cocobolo & ebony, with the new Hotley style brass cap. (micro gloat)

Patriarch, you are WAD the clearest, honestest (is that a word!)
wrecker I've read!

6 weeks ago I had one 25 year old "Companion" plane (Sears cheap
stuff, not even a Cra(ft)sMan that I had never touched with a stone,
much less a file. I now am the proud owner of 7 planes, all off EBay,
including a couple of LNs. TLOML is convinced I'm nuts, my wallet is
short a buck or two, and a tuned old Stanley makes really neat curlies
on a cherry board. Try to explain that to SWMBO. The slope is greased
with honing oil.

I just read the Handplane book by Garrett Hack (Rockler store had a
clearance at 14.95) and I now begin to understand that I am not alone
in having a Problem.

Such is life heading into retirement.

Regards.

Tom