James Lerch

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:42:41 GMT, Ignoramus4093
wrote:

I looked... and looked... on ebay, all websites, military surplus
sales... there is no better deal than the Harbor Freight switch, if
you want a whole house transfer switch.

15 kW is only 75 amps. You may be able to backfeed it through a
breaker on the panel, and install a mechanical interlock kit that
would prevent both the main switch and the backfeeding breaker from
being closed at the same time. Check out interlockkit.com.

Interesting, I saw some similar (But much smaller setup at Home
Despot). I wonder if I build the interlock myself, it will still pass
code inspection?

I have room in my existing breaker box....

Definitely something to consider (either the Kit, or the DIY version).

To be honest, if the generator was one site, and the power went out
for several hours / days, interlock or no interlock, I'd have power in
my house... :0 Of course, if the damn thing caught on fire and burned
my house to the ground, I wonder what insurance would have to say?

In any event, the interlock kit looks promising, I mean it's just
sheet metal work.....

Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge