lionslair at consolidated dot net

bw wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:27:05 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:
That's what I use on my sh*t shaker (compost screening plant) I used
blocks of oak(?) from pallets faced and bored on a lathe faceplate.
The 1/4" throw eccentrics run in pairs of these and are greased
through grease nipples mounted to hollow 3/8 cap screws threaded into
the wooden bearing - this was to increase the tapped hole strength in
the wood - the nipples blew out without the hollow cap screw
adapters. At ~600 RPM these bearings work great but need a bit of
clearance.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Wood bearings were common in windmills. Just make them a little longer.
Check older machinists books for info on wood bearings, types of wood,
lubrication.

Ships used wood bearings. Special wood and kept oiled IIRC.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life