Mark

Default Fitting bathroom suite.

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:31:51 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
Decided to put something back into my house rather than breaking stuff
this week. ;-)

snip
The instructions for the cistern base securing screws and washers were
very non de script being for half a dozen different cistern/toilet pan
systems.
Made a best guess despite having read and studied the leaflets for
weeks.
They didn't leak but the cistern fill pipe with it's washer and
plastic nut ****ed out water (haha) like a waterfall due to them
saying to tighten it by hand to avoid stripping the threads/nut.

One piece of really good advice which came with my otherwise generally dodgy
3 piece suite:
assemble the cistern and then test for water tightness, preferably outside,
before final fitting.

I assembled everything and stood the cistern on my Workmate on the back
patio.
I found a Hozelock adapter which screwed onto the filler pipe and {Bingo!}
cistern connected to mains water.
I could then flush it to test it, and adjust the float etc.

No leaks because I fitted everything with silicone sealant, but I had to
move the filler pipe a little, and angle the float, to stop it hanging up on
top of the siphon. Fortunately the silicone sealant still did :-)

snip
Think I've lost or not had enough bits for the sink after looking at
it more closely today. It's a half pedestal type but I don't see how
you fasten the pedestal to the wall?

I've two big plugs and bolts/nuts for the sink basin but nothing I can
see for the pedestal. Any ideas as to how it should fit?

On my WHB (see previous despairing posts) I don't have the luxury of big
plugs and bolts - just upward slanting screw holes which are as much use as
a chocolate teapot on a bull.
However the pedestal does not fix to the wall - it stands out from the wall
by about 5 1/2".
The one downstairs stands out by about 6 1/2".
As Stuart says, it will probably screw to the floor at the back.
If you are lucky iy may even fit snugly to the underside of your WHB.
If not, tile grout and silicone sealant are your friends :-)

HTH
Dave R

P.S. my biggest problem is keeping the damn toilet seat in place - it seems
to keep slackening off the screws and then sliding sideways. I hope it is
just the plastic washers bedding in :-(

Thanks for the tips. The pedestal however is not one that goes to the
floor it's a "fancy" one that is only half sized so it doesn't reach
the floor - thought it might give the floor a less cluttered and more
roomy feel as I bought the slightly bigger sink as the one in the
showroom wasn't big enough to wash one hand in nevermind anything
else.

So the sink fastens to the wall with two very big
plugs/screws/bolts/washers but the half pedestal I couldn't figure out
what or how it fastens to?

Crappy art below - sink=S pedestal=P wall=W

WSSSSS
WSSSS
WPPP
WPP