Gerald Miller

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:27:05 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
| Hi all,
| What do people think? Will rod end bearings with a bronze insert stand
| up to continuous use in a rock tumbler if I keep them clean and well
| lubricated? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
|
| Best wishes,
|
| Chris

Do a little research into wood bearings. They just happen to be the
very best type of bearing for abrasive applications. There's several
options. The real beauty of it is that you can even make them yourselves!

That's what I use on my sh*t shaker (compost screening plant) I used
blocks of oak(?) from pallets faced and bored on a lathe faceplate.
The 1/4" throw eccentrics run in pairs of these and are greased
through grease nipples mounted to hollow 3/8 cap screws threaded into
the wooden bearing - this was to increase the tapped hole strength in
the wood - the nipples blew out without the hollow cap screw
adapters. At ~600 RPM these bearings work great but need a bit of
clearance.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada