willshak

On 6/10/2005 10:15 PM US(ET), RobR took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

just wondering if there are kits for this sort of thing available.
my mother in law is giving us a 10,000 BTU ac but it's an
in wall unit and we dont have a sleeve in the house, so want
to stick it in a window.

model is a frigidaire WAH106H1T
(a google search turns up absolutely nothing on
any model beginning with WA, they all seem
to start with FAxxxxxxxx)

thanks!

I had a 10k btu sleeve unit in a window for many years before I got
central air. I built a 3/4" plywood platform that attached to the window
sill in the window track with two long screws, and 2x2 wooden legs that
rested against the vinyl siding with a 2x2 brace between the legs
attached to the ends so that the 2x2 ends were not pressing against the
siding. Allow a little slant to the platform for water runoff. From the
side it had a triangle shape. I cut out two triangles out of 1/2"
plywood that braced the legs to the platform. I then used two pieces of
plywood to fill the gaps on either side of the unit in the window
opening. Used the usual foam insulation to prevent air leaks. You may
have to stick a piece oif foam under the unit to prevent air leakage
there. I painted the whole platform white for weatherproofing and asthetics.
After taking it out for the winter, the only visible evidence that it
was there were the two screw holes in the window sill, but since they
were in the window track, they were only visible when the window was open.

--
Bill