lp13-30

To the OP: one of the most common cause of control fuses blowing is
shorted 24 volt wires between the inside and outside unit. Visibly
inspect them first to see if they havent become the victim of a
weedeater or critter. Ideally, they should be in conduit, but often they
are not. If you cannot see any obvious damage, try disconnecting them at
the circuit board. Should be two(assuming you do not have a heat pump)
connected to Y and Common. Try another fuse. If the fan runs ok and the
fuse does not blow, either the wires are bad where you cannot see them,
or there is a problem inside the condensing unit. Disconnect the two
wires at the cond unit and try it again. Check for shorts and grounds
with an ohmeter if you have one. Otherwise, hook the wires back up
inside. If the fuse blows again, you got a problem in the wires.If not,
sounds like a problem inside the cond unitwhich should be left to pros.
EMail me (tonight--gonna be away form the poormans computer tomorrow)if
you got any questions. BTW-- totally agree about Sears A/C service. I
know of 3 people who had service contracts with Sears, and finally gave
up and told them to take a hike and had us replace their entire systems.
On one, they had been screwing around with a gas furnace fan/limit
control and had the limit bypassed and the blower not coming on-- the
furnace got so hot it melted the plastic drain pan on the A coil and it
dripped down through the heat exchanger and solidified into a glob in
the bottom of the blower. How it kept from starting a fire I will never
know. I got a brand new (2 day old) compressor out of one, and a brand
new Acoil out of the latest one. Sears could not find the Freon leak, so
they replaced the coil. When it kept on leaking, they told the lady it
was in the lineset which was not covered. We replaced the whole 4 ton
heat pump system including lineset-- got to looking at the old outside
unit-- service valves with no caps spewing Freon. Larry
PS We can almost always get to a customer that is completely down the
same day they call-- at the very worst the next day, especially if they
call in real late in the day. We try to schedule the routine M/A
checkouts, and little minor stuff so that we have people available to
handle breakdowns. Hopefully there are companies in your area that can
do the same.