RoyJ

440volts? No transformer??

Diamond Jim wrote:
"Kelley Mascher" wrote in message

If the welder is one of the original SP-100 models it is the
equivalent of the current SP-135. Check the service manuals on the
Lincoln Electric website. They will help you identify the welder.

The original SP-100 is a solid 110v MIG with a good duty cycle for
this type of welder. It's possible that the build quality is a bit
better than the SP-135 but I haven't checked.

The price is a little high but only a little. If it has really only
been used 5 time in 10 years it should look brand new.

I wouldn't challenge the seller on the price of the welder but I would
ask him if he would sell it without the $100C roll of wire. In fact,
.030" hard wire isn't very useful, generally, in this welder. You
would be better off with .023".

Obviously, I'm pretty happy with my SP-100, which dates from around
1990.

Cheers,

Kelley

I checked today, as I thought it was bigger but my small MIG is a SP100 from
back in the mid to early 80's at least. I bought it used in '92, from the 2d
owner who had it 7 years. And its a good'en, still in great shape even
though the paint has faded to a kind of pinkish color instead of the
original bright red. It will handle .035 hard or flux cored wire easy. In
fact with this size wire I can easily get burn through on 1/8" steel, if I
don't keep it moving. This is on "D-3" setting. It won't feed aluminum wire
worth a damn even with a Teflon liner, and new rollers, but it makes some
hell of beautiful welds with mix and stainless wire or CO2 and flux cored.
Heck I have used it with CO2, and flux cored wire to bridge some big gaps
using old 1/8th and 3/32d, 6010 and 6011 rods with damp flaking flux on them
for filler.

Of course the secret is to have a good power source. I have 440v ran to my
shop, then break it down to 220v going to five outlet boxes, each with its
own run of 8 gage wire. At the outlet boxes I have one 220v 50amp, one 120v
20amp, and one 120v15amp outlet. My lathe, mill, band saw, grinder and air
compressor are all hard wired to a different circuit. This keeps voltage
drops to a minimum. Of course I have to pay a little extra for three meters.
(House, boat/wood/welding shop, and machine shop w/central Air.) But it is
worth it, with good power everything works like it is supposed to.