DE

Biggest problem I've had is with (maybe) water or could be some other ****
in the fuel getting past the filter......this being that Kubota tractor.

Over prolonged periods of disuse and with that pump design the injector pump
pistons will seize at the "up" position--I could tell because on cracking
the injector lines at the pump there wasn't any fuel coming out.

Water in the fuel system past the filters will rust/seize an
injection pump solid, you got lucky. The best way to prevent water
problems is to keep the tank full and have a good separator/filter
on the storage tank if you have one.

Diesels usually need to spin around 600 rpms to start, hard starting
in the cold is sometimes related to slow spin speed especially the
engines with counterbalances that have to cut through thick cold oil.
I have a IH that will not start in the cold with heavy weight oil. If
filled with polar start oil it will start in any temp. That stuff
pours llike water in 30 below.

DE