RWL

Default Diesels and cold weather

The discussion about the ChangFa diesel & generator project got me
interested in the project too. I live in central PA, and the power is
as likely to go down in an ice storm in winter requiring a subfreezing
start.

How hard is it to get diesels started in cold weather?
What do you do differently to get them going?
How hard are diesels to start if they sit 3 or 4 months between short
test / maintenance runs?

How often do you have to change oil in a diesel compared to a gasoline
engine? The specs on the Kohler engine on my mower say to change
every 100 hours. What's the recommended interval on the ChangFa or
other diesels?

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******
Tom Miller

A little squirt of "Cold Start" or something similar ( ether based aerosol)
goes a long way. It works well if its not too cold, but if its really cold,
forget it. Drain the oil, heat it to about 90 Deg C and pour it back in.
DON"T overdo it on the Cold Start or you'll damage the engine.

Tom Miller

"RWL" GeoLane_NOSPAM_ @evenlink.com wrote in message

The discussion about the ChangFa diesel & generator project got me
interested in the project too. I live in central PA, and the power is
as likely to go down in an ice storm in winter requiring a subfreezing
start.

How hard is it to get diesels started in cold weather?
What do you do differently to get them going?
How hard are diesels to start if they sit 3 or 4 months between short
test / maintenance runs?

How often do you have to change oil in a diesel compared to a gasoline
engine? The specs on the Kohler engine on my mower say to change
every 100 hours. What's the recommended interval on the ChangFa or
other diesels?

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******

Nick Müller

RWL wrote:

What do you do differently to get them going?

You also have to pay attention that the fuel doesn't solidify in the
cold. I think you also do have "summer diesel" and "winter diesel". So
you should fill the tank in winter. Or add some gas.

Nick

--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

PrecisionMachinisT

"Tom Miller" wrote in message

A little squirt of "Cold Start" or something similar ( ether based

aerosol)
goes a long way. It works well if its not too cold, but if its really

cold,
forget it. Drain the oil, heat it to about 90 Deg C and pour it back in.
DON"T overdo it on the Cold Start or you'll damage the engine.

A lit butane torch set near the air intake can often work wonders...pull the
filter...

Suggest turn it over for a few cranks with the compression release
pulled....after that go for it.

--

SVL

JohnM

RWL wrote:

The discussion about the ChangFa diesel & generator project got me
interested in the project too. I live in central PA, and the power is
as likely to go down in an ice storm in winter requiring a subfreezing
start.

How hard is it to get diesels started in cold weather?
What do you do differently to get them going?
How hard are diesels to start if they sit 3 or 4 months between short
test / maintenance runs?

How often do you have to change oil in a diesel compared to a gasoline
engine? The specs on the Kohler engine on my mower say to change
every 100 hours. What's the recommended interval on the ChangFa or
other diesels?

RWL

Diesels are good about starting after sitting for long periods, far
better than a motor with a carburetor.

My little Deutz diesel starts good without help down to freezing or so,
giving it hot air from a hair dryer it'll start down to about zeroF and
if I warm the heads up it'll start below that temp. Ether, used with
some discretion, is of considerable value in getting a cold diesel
hitting on all cylinders as soon as possible. Naturally, if you're using
glow plugs you don't want the ether..

In my experience there's a lot of difference between how different
brands (and some difference between different motors in each brand)
start. With the ChangFa, I guess all you can do is see what other folks
have to say and maybe buy one and find out yourself.

Maybe consider a used engine, sometimes they can be more of a known
value. Deutz, Perkins, Cummins, Yanmar, Mercedes, Rabbit diesel, there's
a lot of good little diesels in the world..

John

Robert Swinney

Hard starting is the Diesel legacy. It took many years, and a family
fortune, for Rudolph Diesel to develop his engine to a state of commercial
success - and you expect them to start immediately; get real!

Bob Swinney
"JohnM" wrote in message
RWL wrote:

[...]

BillP

Tom Miller wrote:
[...]

I learned that a bit of gasoline on a rag held close to, or wafted about
the intake can really help a diesel get started in cold weather. The
fumes are just enuff to help it get going.....

Bill
Don Stauffer

RWL wrote:

The discussion about the ChangFa diesel & generator project got me
interested in the project too. I live in central PA, and the power is
as likely to go down in an ice storm in winter requiring a subfreezing
start.

How hard is it to get diesels started in cold weather?
What do you do differently to get them going?
How hard are diesels to start if they sit 3 or 4 months between short
test / maintenance runs?

How often do you have to change oil in a diesel compared to a gasoline
engine? The specs on the Kohler engine on my mower say to change
every 100 hours. What's the recommended interval on the ChangFa or
other diesels?

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******

We live in Minnesota. About fifteen years ago our inlaws gave us their
car when they bought a new one. It was a Rabbit diesel, and I was not
thrilled, but my wife felt we had to accept it. While I didn't like
several things about the car, I must admit we never had trouble starting
it in winter. We always waited till glow plugs warmed up.
Robert Swinney

Bill sez: "How often do you have to change oil in a diesel compared to a
gasoline engine? The specs on the Kohler engine on my mower say to change
every 100 hours. What's the recommended interval on the ChangFa or other
diesels?"

Don't know about others, but some railroads "flash test" their engines' oil
to determine servicing time. A sample is heated under carefully controlled
conditions and then brought into contact with an open flame. It "flashes
off" in accordance with the amount of unburned contaminents and temperature.

Bob Swinney

"BillP" wrote in message
Tom Miller wrote:
[...]

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Ignoramus11275" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 06:41:14 -0700, BillP wrote:
I learned that a bit of gasoline on a rag held close to, or wafted about
the intake can really help a diesel get started in cold weather. The
fumes are just enuff to help it get going.....

Make sure to NOT do that with any diesel that has glow plugs.

Yah. I'm partial to warming the intake air.

I own a 1965 Deutz 56HP tractor. It _had_ an intake air heater once. A
short blast from my heat gun starts it in all weather.

LLoyd

footy

Oil change interval on Cummins ISM is 35,000 to 45,000 miles depending
on type of service the vechicle sees. With the oil management system,
it can go to 525,000 miles.

Pick a day of the month to go and run that diesel until the oil temp is
up. You want to boil out condensation and be sure the damn thing works.
Say whenever you write a check to the elec comapny go and run the
engine.

JohnM

Robert Swinney wrote:
Hard starting is the Diesel legacy. It took many years, and a family
fortune, for Rudolph Diesel to develop his engine to a state of commercial
success - and you expect them to start immediately; get real!

Bob Swinney

The length of time it took Diesel to get his engine working has
something to do with how a modern diesel engine starts?

John
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:48:34 -0400, JohnM wrote:
Robert Swinney wrote:
Hard starting is the Diesel legacy. It took many years, and a family
fortune, for Rudolph Diesel to develop his engine to a state of commercial
success - and you expect them to start immediately; get real!

The length of time it took Diesel to get his engine working has
something to do with how a modern diesel engine starts?

I thought Robert was making a joke...
JohnM

Robert Swinney wrote:

Hard starting is the Diesel legacy. It took many years, and a family
fortune, for Rudolph Diesel to develop his engine to a state of commercial
success - and you expect them to start immediately; get real!

The length of time it took Diesel to get his engine working has
something to do with how a modern diesel engine starts?

I thought Robert was making a joke...

Oh. Guess it was a little too subtle for me.. sorry.. didn't mean to
miss the joke.. won't happen again before the next time it happens..

I'll be over here in the corner.. if anyone needs me..

John

Christopher Tidy

RWL wrote:

The discussion about the ChangFa diesel & generator project got me
interested in the project too. I live in central PA, and the power is
as likely to go down in an ice storm in winter requiring a subfreezing
start.

How hard is it to get diesels started in cold weather?
What do you do differently to get them going?
How hard are diesels to start if they sit 3 or 4 months between short
test / maintenance runs?

In my experience diesel engines start much more easily in cold weather
(and after long idle periods) than traditional petrol engines which
employ a carburettor. Two days ago I started up a bakhoe loader which
hasn't run for 4 1/2 years. Needed a new battery but then it fired up
straight away. I didn't even have to drain the fuel tank. You'd be lucky
to do that with a simple petrol engine.

Chris

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:25:21 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

RWL wrote:

[...]

If you have no engine heater, and the glow-plugs are suspect, I've
found a quick and easy way to start a cold deisel. I just pop the air
intake off, light up the old Bernz-o-Matic propane torch and lay it in
the manifold for a few minutes. Minimal chance of fire, as the
manifold only carries air - and the heated manifold warms the initial
air charge sufficiently to start the engine. Worked good on the old
Perkins and Cummins tractor engines.

Another novel solution , which my brother and I came up with for his
old LN9000 highway tractor (and then put on his Kenworth) was an RV
water heater plumbed into a heater line, with a surplus 24 volt
circulation pump. Running on 12 volts, it kept the coolant circulating
and didn't draw much power. Had a large heeter core with a couple of
computer fans under the bunk (60 inch sleeper). The heater had
electronic ignition, and we had 2 thermostats hooked up - one
measuring water temp, one sleeper air temp which he could switch
between. Instead of running the deisel all night when taking his rest
break, he just fired up the propane heater - and when he was home for
the weekend in the winter (his lane was 1/4 mile long, in the central
Ontario Snow Belt) he could shut the truck down, and leave it cold
untill about 4 hours before he needed to leave. A timer turned on the
heater, and he had an easy to start engine, warm cab, and no ice or
snow on the windsheild.
Christopher Tidy

Tom Quackenbush wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:
snip

In my experience diesel engines start much more easily in cold weather
(and after long idle periods) than traditional petrol engines which
employ a carburettor. Two days ago I started up a bakhoe loader which
hasn't run for 4 1/2 years. Needed a new battery but then it fired up
straight away. I didn't even have to drain the fuel tank. You'd be lucky
to do that with a simple petrol engine.

What was the temperature when you started it?

This time it was probably 18 C, so okay, not cold. But I've started the
same machine after long idle periods when it's below 0 C with no
problems at all. It has a "cold start" button which causes the pump to
inject more diesel, raising the compression ratio and sealing up any
leaks around the pistons. Works great! I've also had big problems
starting petrol engines in warm weather. Just my experience...

Chris

Christopher Tidy

wrote:

RWL wrote:

[...]

There's no heater or glow plugs on the backhoe loader engine. Just the
"cold start" which adds more fuel, like I explained. Maybe it's just a
good engine, I don't know. Fordson Super Major from 1963. Having said
that, our MF diesel tractor starts fine in cold weather, but all the
petrol tractors we've ever had are really hard to start.

I think one of the things which makes diesels easier to start after long
idle periods is that diesel is less volatile, so it doesn't evaporate
and seize up the fuel system with crud. If I had to pick an engine for a
generator, I would pick a diesel.

Chris

Tom Miller

One of the large Canadian transport companies had a hot coolant system
piped through their yard. When a truck came in the winter time, a couple of
quick disconnect hose fittings connected the engine to the gas heated
system. Save them a lot of time and trouble trying to start engines in -30
weather.

Tom

wrote:

RWL wrote:

[...]

RWL

Thanks all who posted. I thought diesels were harder to start in the
cold than gas engines, but that must have been a misconception.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******
Laurie Forbes

"Ignoramus21704" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:05:26 -0400, RWL
wrote:

Thanks all who posted. I thought diesels were harder to start in the
cold than gas engines, but that must have been a misconception.

Some diesels ARE very hard to start in cold weather.

I have a small Yanmar diesel tractor (15hp). It starts well in warm weather
but go below freezing and it must be plugged in. Much colder still and I
pretty much also have to use ether. OTOH my Golf TDI starts unheated in
pretty much any low temperature although it smokes and runs roughly for a
minute or two

PrecisionMachinisT

Robert Swinney wrote:
Hard starting is the Diesel legacy. It took many years, and a family
fortune, for Rudolph Diesel to develop his engine to a state of
commercial
success - and you expect them to start immediately; get real!

The length of time it took Diesel to get his engine working has
something to do with how a modern diesel engine starts?

I thought Robert was making a joke...

Robert was making a joke ....

Robert

Hmmm....

I thought he was trolling for Gunner--kinduva disconnect here between cause
and effect I felt sure he would glom onto !!!

Probly he even has a set of blogs cribbed someplace with all kinds of
statistics that would prove the 'connection' beyond any shadow of doubt.

--

SVL

--Conservatively fighting AGAINST the "War On Liberals"

PrecisionMachinisT

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
RWL wrote:

The discussion about the ChangFa diesel & generator project got me
interested in the project too. I live in central PA, and the power is
as likely to go down in an ice storm in winter requiring a subfreezing
start.

How hard is it to get diesels started in cold weather?
What do you do differently to get them going?
How hard are diesels to start if they sit 3 or 4 months between short
test / maintenance runs?

In my experience diesel engines start much more easily in cold weather
(and after long idle periods) than traditional petrol engines which
employ a carburettor. Two days ago I started up a bakhoe loader which
hasn't run for 4 1/2 years. Needed a new battery but then it fired up
straight away. I didn't even have to drain the fuel tank. You'd be lucky
to do that with a simple petrol engine.

Really....wow,

You can say THAT again......

I HATE it when that happens !!!

--

SVL

DE

Biggest problem I've had is with (maybe) water or could be some other ****
in the fuel getting past the filter......this being that Kubota tractor.

Over prolonged periods of disuse and with that pump design the injector pump
pistons will seize at the "up" position--I could tell because on cracking
the injector lines at the pump there wasn't any fuel coming out.

Water in the fuel system past the filters will rust/seize an
injection pump solid, you got lucky. The best way to prevent water
problems is to keep the tank full and have a good separator/filter
on the storage tank if you have one.

Diesels usually need to spin around 600 rpms to start, hard starting
in the cold is sometimes related to slow spin speed especially the
engines with counterbalances that have to cut through thick cold oil.
I have a IH that will not start in the cold with heavy weight oil. If
filled with polar start oil it will start in any temp. That stuff
pours llike water in 30 below.

DE

Fred R

Nick Müller wrote:
RWL wrote:

What do you do differently to get them going?

You also have to pay attention that the fuel doesn't solidify in the
cold. I think you also do have "summer diesel" and "winter diesel". So
you should fill the tank in winter. Or add some gas.

Nick

This is a BIG point. "Summer" fuel has more of a wax-like component
that is very - sometimes fatally - unfriendly to injector pumps when cold.

Otherwise it is mostly a matter of physically turning harder (another
poster's mention of cold-start oil is good) and getting the compression
heat up to ignition temperature by either adding hot air or lowering the
ignition temperature using an aerosol can of ether.

If you have a TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) store locally they will have
everything you need in consumer-sized packages.

--
Fred R
________________

Christopher Tidy

Tom Quackenbush wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

snip

In my experience diesel engines start much more easily in cold weather
(and after long idle periods) than traditional petrol engines which
employ a carburettor. Two days ago I started up a bakhoe loader which
hasn't run for 4 1/2 years. Needed a new battery but then it fired up
straight away. I didn't even have to drain the fuel tank. You'd be lucky
to do that with a simple petrol engine.

What was the temperature when you started it?

This time it was probably 18 C, so okay, not cold. But I've started the
same machine after long idle periods when it's below 0 C with no
problems at all. It has a "cold start" button which causes the pump to
inject more diesel, raising the compression ratio and sealing up any
leaks around the pistons. Works great! I've also had big problems
starting petrol engines in warm weather. Just my experience...

Okay. Just wanted to distinguish between fuel stability and cold
weather starting. I'd expect diesel to remain viable longer than
gasoline (petrol), but it would be harder to start in cold weather.

OP only mentioned sub-freezing temperatures, so that's not too harsh
a test for either fuel. I'm not sure how well diesel would fare in
sub-zero (Fahrenheit) temps, though, esp. if it was a warm weather mix
and had no added engine heating (e.g., electric block heater).

I have my own, loosely related, anecdote. I left my Unimog sitting
in a field for almost 2 years (long story). It sat through two Vermont
winters without the batteries being charged. The batteries were a pair
of Wal-Mart's cheapest. I thought that it was a foregone conclusion
that the batteries would be completely ruined; that is, completely
self-discharged and subsequently frozen in the sub-zero (F) temps.
When it became a priority that I start the 'Mog this Spring, I went
down to the field equipped with 2 new, charged batteries, ether, and
fresh gas. After adding the fresh gas (petrol), but before changing
out the batteries, I decided to try the ignition button. It turned
over! It kept turning over for 20-30 seconds until the fuel line was
primed and then the engine started and ran fine. This does not fit
with anything I thought I knew about lead-acid batteries.

Yes, I sometimes find that I encounter these situations where rules of
thumb are broken completely. Fortunately in your case it was a nice
surprise, although I guess you still ended up with two extra new batteries.

I believe that there are several different kinds of lead-acid batteries.
The most traditional has electrodes made from a lead-antimony alloy, and
is quite resistant to deep cycling but needs to be topped up with water
fairly often. "Maintenance free" batteries use a lead-calcium alloy for
the electrodes and rarely need to be topped up with water, but are
rapidly damaged by deep cycling. I believe lead-calcium batteries also
need to be charged to a slightly higher voltage. There are a few other
more complicated kinds of lead-acid battery too.

Best wishes,

Chris