George

"Prometheus" wrote in message
Owen, I have WindowsXP and I'm on cable and use Internet Explorer.
Does that mean anything to you?

Kindasorta. I'm not on cable so don't really know how that service works
in any detail. Here's a link to Comcast's (our local cable service) FAQs
on newsgroups. Perhaps your provider has a similar page so that you can
find out if they offer newsgroup access and how to configure a
newsreader.

http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/Faq2_200_0.html

Folks on Windows seem to generally use Outlook Express. Being on a Mac,
I can't offer any suggestions for specific newsgroup readers for you. I
assume they all work similarly though.

I'm guessing your heart is in the right place, but Outlook Express is
less than half a step better than using Google. I use Forte Agent,
which has a free version as well as the full version availible for
download at http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php, though others use
Newsrover, Xnews and similar programs. Any of them will work much
better than Outlook.

All of which scores points, but doesn't get Ruth closer.

With cable, Ruth, your provider is the cable company, so call them and ask
if they have access to "Usenet" or "news groups" available on their server.
Or you could take the shot in the dark I mentioned earlier. Say it's
Comcast, and you're using what you have. Sequence goes Tools / Accounts /
News / Add - then follow the "wizard," server is "news.Comcast.net."

If you don't have them, what chip or revision or reader is moot.

The best reader is the one _you_ know how to use.