Richard W.

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:25:21 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

There's no heater or glow plugs on the backhoe loader engine. Just the
"cold start" which adds more fuel, like I explained. Maybe it's just a
good engine, I don't know. Fordson Super Major from 1963. Having said
that, our MF diesel tractor starts fine in cold weather, but all the
petrol tractors we've ever had are really hard to start.

I think one of the things which makes diesels easier to start after long
idle periods is that diesel is less volatile, so it doesn't evaporate
and seize up the fuel system with crud. If I had to pick an engine for a
generator, I would pick a diesel.

Chris

I have a 1957 Fordson Major and the book says to never use ether for
starting, because it will blow a head gasket. Which is why I had to tear
mine down when I bought it. It still ran on 3 cylinders. Come to
think of it, my Olds diesel that I had said the same thing on the air
cleaner.

Richard W.