On 22 Jun 2005 12:06:15 -0700, someone wrote:

Does anyone have a point of view on this?

Personally, I only "used an agent" when buying, about 25 years ago on
my first property. I did it because I thought she would help me find
a selection of properies that memy specifictons. Even then, I quickly
saw that she was only taking me around to her own agency's listings,
even though they did not meet my specifications. I had to
specifically ask to see other properties that I spotted.

I have not used an agent when buying since, except in the sense that
most of the properties were listed so I would approach the Seller's
agent. If you are familiar with the area and don't need help finding
properties for sale, I don't see that much point, EXCEPT to have your
own go-between during negotiation. Some people are more comfortable
with that.