Tom Miller

A little squirt of "Cold Start" or something similar ( ether based aerosol)
goes a long way. It works well if its not too cold, but if its really cold,
forget it. Drain the oil, heat it to about 90 Deg C and pour it back in.
DON"T overdo it on the Cold Start or you'll damage the engine.

Tom Miller

"RWL" GeoLane_NOSPAM_ @evenlink.com wrote in message

The discussion about the ChangFa diesel & generator project got me
interested in the project too. I live in central PA, and the power is
as likely to go down in an ice storm in winter requiring a subfreezing
start.

How hard is it to get diesels started in cold weather?
What do you do differently to get them going?
How hard are diesels to start if they sit 3 or 4 months between short
test / maintenance runs?

How often do you have to change oil in a diesel compared to a gasoline
engine? The specs on the Kohler engine on my mower say to change
every 100 hours. What's the recommended interval on the ChangFa or
other diesels?

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******