Gary H. Lucas

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:41:47 -0400, wrote:

I'd say sorry about the off topic post but half of them are off topic
on this list and at least this is a machine tool, though not CNC. A
lady my uncle knows, asked him to look at her husbands workshop and
try to price some of this things. He died recently and she really
isn't hurting for money but doesn't want to give things away unless it
is to her kids.

Her husband had a small South Bend bench lathe that he used to make
parts for people in the area. Not very big, or strong, or whatever
but he was getting work done with it.

The details are 9" Workshop 3' bed Model 415-YA

Hires (7MP Jpeg)
http://wess.freeshell.org/DSC01552.JPG 3M
http://wess.freeshell.org/DSC01553.JPG

Not as Hires but still big:

http://wess.freeshell.org/DSC01552_Q65.jpg
http://wess.freeshell.org/DSC01553_Q65.jpg

The tape on chuck is what a friend thought it would go for. On some
items they were in the ball park and others not. I looked at a drill
press that I told her she could likely do better but if not, I would
buy it for the price that was marked since it seemed fair.

Is there a group or mailing list that addresses collectors of these
things? The lathe seemed to be in good shape and a working tool.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to my antispam address below and mark urgent so I don't miss it
in the pile of crap in my in box.

I cross posted this into rec.crafts.metalworking where they really DO
know what this is worth.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Gunner,
I've got a Southbend lathe that was installed at the RCA Sarnoff Labs in
1947, in a laboratory not the machine shop. It's got the metal bench under
it with a collet drawer and the motor underneath. It's also got the taper
attachment. I paid $500 for it at a sealed bid auction. I'd be willing to
bet it had all of 50 hours run time on it when I got it. It really is in
beautiful shape. I'll pass this 'antique' on to my grandson some day.

Gary H. Lucas