Gunner

Default OT - South Bend Bench Lathe

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:41:47 -0400, wrote:

I'd say sorry about the off topic post but half of them are off topic
on this list and at least this is a machine tool, though not CNC. A
lady my uncle knows, asked him to look at her husbands workshop and
try to price some of this things. He died recently and she really
isn't hurting for money but doesn't want to give things away unless it
is to her kids.

Her husband had a small South Bend bench lathe that he used to make
parts for people in the area. Not very big, or strong, or whatever
but he was getting work done with it.

The details are 9" Workshop 3' bed Model 415-YA

Hires (7MP Jpeg)
http://wess.freeshell.org/DSC01552.JPG 3M
http://wess.freeshell.org/DSC01553.JPG

Not as Hires but still big:

http://wess.freeshell.org/DSC01552_Q65.jpg
http://wess.freeshell.org/DSC01553_Q65.jpg

The tape on chuck is what a friend thought it would go for. On some
items they were in the ball park and others not. I looked at a drill
press that I told her she could likely do better but if not, I would
buy it for the price that was marked since it seemed fair.

Is there a group or mailing list that addresses collectors of these
things? The lathe seemed to be in good shape and a working tool.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to my antispam address below and mark urgent so I don't miss it
in the pile of crap in my in box.

I cross posted this into rec.crafts.metalworking where they really DO
know what this is worth.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Grant Erwin

That's a model C lathe (no X or Y powerfeeds at all), ways look pretty worn, no
indication of spindle bearing condition or if the spindle's bent or if the
headstock gears are pitted. Clearly doesn't have a quickchange toolpost, looks
like there might be a steady rest, dog driver plate and some threading change
gears underneath, looks like a partially-completed MLA T-slot cross-slide table
on the shelf behind. The lathe is mixed in with a little bit of machinist
tooling and a lot of oil and chips. How much it's worth is very dependent on
condition, and if there isn't any indication, a buyer has to assume the worst.
Neglecting that, in areas with lots of machinery available, the price might be
in the $450-800 range. Out on the prairie or in the Deep South, where there
isn't as much machinery available, probably a bit more. Lot of stuff down there
has rust on it, which you hate to see, means stuff has been badly neglected.

In Seattle I wouldn't offer more than $250 for it, just to part it out. Unless I
knew its spindle bearings and spindle were OK and the backgears were all OK too,
then I might go $500.

Best I can do from photos, good luck to whomever. Gunner's a good guy, but he
doesn't have room for it. Please don't give it to him!

Grant Erwin

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:15:29 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

In Seattle I wouldn't offer more than $250 for it, just to part it out. Unless I
knew its spindle bearings and spindle were OK and the backgears were all OK too,
then I might go $500.

Best I can do from photos, good luck to whomever. Gunner's a good guy, but he
doesn't have room for it. Please don't give it to him!

Grant Erwin

What would I want with SouthBends, when I have Hardinge? G

I of course passed on the post to you plebian types for your
consideration.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Will

wrote:

[...]

Hi Grant,

Are you serious? $ 450? ( I won't even mention $800 ) I've thrown
away better looking lathes than this. Sorry, no disrespect to the OP
or owner.

Is it because it's an antique?

I guess I will have to look at non cnc prices more carefully and get
rid of some excess equipment. Think I've still got an old SB or Logan
around here somewhere.

Will

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Hobbyists are always looking for old iron. Particularly good American
Iron. Some machines of course are more desireable than others.
SouthBend Heavy 10 commands more than the C model, and so forth.

Thats one of the things I personally do..scrounge up surplus machines
that hobbiests can use., and pass em on. I hate to see history go into
the dumpster.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Grant Erwin

Will wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:15:29 -0700, Grant Erwin

... I wouldn't offer more than $250 for it, just to part it out. Unless I
knew its spindle bearings and spindle were OK and the backgears were all OK too,
then I might go $500.

Grant Erwin

Hi Grant,

Are you serious? $ 450? ( I won't even mention $800 ) I've thrown
away better looking lathes than this. Sorry, no disrespect to the OP
or owner.

Is it because it's an antique?

I guess I will have to look at non cnc prices more carefully and get
rid of some excess equipment. Think I've still got an old SB or Logan
around here somewhere.

I was serious, Will. There is a lot of demand for smaller manual machines,
particularly South Bends, Logans and Atlases. Even so, I didn't say $450, I said
$250, not to nit pick. No good at all for pro shop work, waaaay too slow. But a
buddy who's getting a model cannon ready for July 4th just came over and I
turned him a nice long round nut threaded down the bore 1-1/2" deep for the
height adjust mechanism. You just can not do that without a lathe. And I don't
want or need a big one.

GWE
Rex B

I was serious, Will. There is a lot of demand for smaller manual
machines, particularly South Bends, Logans and Atlases. Even so, I
didn't say $450, I said $250, not to nit pick. No good at all for pro
shop work, waaaay too slow. But a buddy who's getting a model cannon
ready for July 4th just came over and I turned him a nice long round nut
threaded down the bore 1-1/2" deep for the height adjust mechanism. You
just can not do that without a lathe. And I don't want or need a big one.

GWE

I'm currently trying to decide whether to keep my Logan 9B-17-1.
Nice machine, my first lathe. QC box, automatic apron, excellent
condition.
But I recently got an Enco 1024 that should do everything the Logan
will, and then some. It's an older machine with no visible wear, was
found with only aluminum and plastic chips.
Doesn't make sense to keep both. I suppose I'll just see which one
gets used, and which doesn't.
Grant Erwin

Ignoramus30369 wrote:

I think that I will get rid of my Clausing 100 series lathe, and will
look for something bigger.

Guys told me to get a real lathe, stop fiddling with that toy SB9. So I bought a
nice Cincinnati 15x30" Hydrashift, ran beautifully, real nice machine. I had
them both under power in my shop for about 3 years. I used the South Bend
whenever I could, because I'm used to it and I like it. When I did machining for
money (the few times I did) of course I used the big machine. Took up a lot of
floor space and it cost me big bucks. I recently sold it, and have never
regretted it. I still use my SB9 all the time. I think that will be one of the
last machines I sell when I get old or whatever. I'm *not* a pro machinist, just
a guy with a shop, though.

Grant
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:
Ignoramus30369 wrote:

I think that I will get rid of my Clausing 100 series lathe, and will
look for something bigger.

Guys told me to get a real lathe, stop fiddling with that toy SB9. So I bought a
nice Cincinnati 15x30" Hydrashift, ran beautifully, real nice machine. I had
them both under power in my shop for about 3 years. I used the South Bend
whenever I could, because I'm used to it and I like it. When I did machining for
money (the few times I did) of course I used the big machine. Took up a lot of
floor space and it cost me big bucks. I recently sold it, and have never
regretted it. I still use my SB9 all the time. I think that will be one of the
last machines I sell when I get old or whatever. I'm *not* a pro machinist, just
a guy with a shop, though.

I like having multiple sizes available. My largest is
noticeably smaller than your big one -- only a 12x24" Clausing. But I
also have (and use), in order of size:

1) Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC (5" swing). Nice when cutting metric
threads or dimensions, and nice when doing a lot of something
complex.

2) Taig -- manual lathe, usually used with watchmaker's spindle
an collets. Nice for smaller workpieces where the higher
spindle speed is a big help.

3) Unimat SL-1000 -- also usually used with a watchmaker's spindle
for tiny workpieces.

On a recent project, I used all three of these (and not the
bigger Clausing). But -- I would not get rid of the Clausing, either.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Rex B

You sound like me. I have a weakness for little lathes.
Currently I have the 9" Logan, 10" Enco, and a 6" antique AA

Did you see this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:DS:US:28

This is a Craftsman lathe, late model.
Says it's Austrian?
First I've heard of this one.

This one is also interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Scratch-built by a machinist.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus30369 wrote:

[...]

DoN. Nichols

In article , Rex B "" wrote:
You sound like me. I have a weakness for little lathes.
Currently I have the 9" Logan, 10" Enco, and a 6" antique AA

Did you see this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:DS:US:28

This is a Craftsman lathe, late model.
Says it's Austrian?
First I've heard of this one.

It *looks* like a version of the Emco-Maier Compact-5 -- the
manual version of my Compact-5/CNC. They were Austrian, though the
manual lathes (and even the Compact-5/CNC) have all been discontinued by
now. The standard color for those (as sold by Emco-Maier) is an orange,
except for the latest, which had a red finish.

I didn't realize that Sears was selling a version of that at one
time.

It is certainly a nice machine for its size, based on the CNC
version which I have. (Though if you bid on it and get it, I can make
some suggestions to reduce gib wear. :-)

This one is also interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Scratch-built by a machinist.

Now *that* one is cute. But the fellow describing it is
obviously not really familiar with the field. :-)

I'd like to know things like the spindle thread and bore, and
the maximum swing. I suspect that it uses the same spindle thread as
the 109 series AA lathes, but that is just a guess. If so, it certainly
can't handle much spindle bore. :-)

No spindle thread on the Sears copy of the Compact-5, as the
chucks bolt directly to the spindle nose, registered by a 40mm recess in
the back of the chuck and a 40mm diameter flat spindle nose (with a MT-2
spindle taper). The chuck attaches with three screws (for a 3-jaw
chuck) or four screws (for a 4-jaw chuck), with the screws located
between the jaws. There is also an ER style collet nosepiece avaiable
for the machine.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Rex B

Both lathes have exceeded my "What the hell" maximum.
I'll stick with what I have, but I'll sure keep an eye out for a
"Craftsman/Emco"
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article , Rex B "" wrote:

[...]

DoN. Nichols

In article , Rex B "" wrote:
Both lathes have exceeded my "What the hell" maximum.
I'll stick with what I have, but I'll sure keep an eye out for a
"Craftsman/Emco"

Or -- just an Emco-Maier Compact-5, which would have the proper
color. :-) The CNC version will probably be well above your price range,
unless you are very lucky.

Here is one of the CNC versions on eBay:

7523702712

But there is at least one *glaring* error in the "Description"

Swing Over Bed: Less than 10''

Yes -- it is less than 10" -- it is only 5" -- a major difference.

The more complete description, however, is more accurate.

I'm not sure whether it is the earlier or later CPU board and
firmware. The focus on the area of the buttons is not good enough to be
sure.

It has the poorer of the two styles of quick-change toolpost,
however, which makes me suspect that it is the older style.

It has the platform for the tracing option -- to allow a student
to draw what its cuts will be on paper on a roll held behind the bed
before damaging something with a poor program.. (That is being used to
support some of the tooling.) I don't see the pen holder arm which is
supposed to be used for that -- or the pin which the paper roll turns
on.

It has only one tool holder (shown), and has only the 4-jaw
chuck, but at least it appears to have a pretty good tailstock chuck and
a nice live center.

And it has a turret toolpost which I have never seen on this
machine before. (Not to be confused with the turret toolholder which is
controlled by the lathe's electronics.

O.K. Another angle shows it to be the older CPU board, so it is
almost certainly also the older firmware. That particular style of
buttons had developed a lot of keybounce in my example -- one of the
reasons why I went for a newer CPU card, as well as getting the fancier
firmware.

And a really *terrible* shot of the back, where the connectors
could otherwise have perhaps told me a bit more about it.

Skip this one (if you are tempted).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Gary H. Lucas

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

I've got a Southbend lathe that was installed at the RCA Sarnoff Labs in
1947, in a laboratory not the machine shop. It's got the metal bench under
it with a collet drawer and the motor underneath. It's also got the taper
attachment. I paid $500 for it at a sealed bid auction. I'd be willing to
bet it had all of 50 hours run time on it when I got it. It really is in
beautiful shape. I'll pass this 'antique' on to my grandson some day.

Gary H. Lucas

Gunner

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:57:26 GMT, "Gary H. Lucas"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

oooooo ! Post some pics in the www.metalworking.com drop box for all
to enjoy. Btw... Its a marvelous place to browse.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Top posting this since Gunner posted this here for me a while back and
thread is likely long gone on most peoples readers. The auction took
place and it went for 450.00. The ways on it looked good to the naked
eye.

I'm starting to second guess myself on a Dayton 3/4hp vari speed drill
press I dropped out of the bidding at 250.00 on. Oh well, too late
now.

Wes