zxcvbob

Ignoramus23410 wrote:
I need to run about 100-120 feet of cat5e cable to connect our bedroom
to the utility room where the network switch, DSL router etc is. I
ALSO need to run a phone cable, from utility room to the same
bedroom. I am wondering if all 8 wires on a cat5e cable are used for
Ethernet purposes, and if that is not the case, is there a couple I
could use for phone. That way I could save $$ and time by running one
cable instead of two.

You can use the center pair of wires (I'm not sure what the color code
is) for telephone. That's why a RJ45 ethernet connector uses pins
1,2,3,6. 4 and 5 were reserved by the old "Starnet" (Xerox?) standard
for telephone. You can plug an RJ11 telephone line into a RJ45 socket
wired this way to get a telephone signal. I have one jack in my
basement wired like that, but I generally run a seperate CAT3 cable for
telephone.

Bob