Doug Miller

In article , "George E. Cawthon" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, "dean"

wrote:

Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Bar & chain oil is a *lot* thicker and stickier than motor oil. This helps it

stay on the chain. Motor oil will work, but it gets slung off the chain

pretty
quickly, so you have to replenish the oil reservoir more often. And it makes

hell of a mess.

Getting slung off the bar doesn't cause the saw to
use more oil. Just means that the bar gets
hotter,

i.e. it isn't getting adequate lubrication...

unless you dial up the oil flow.

And obviously if you dial up the oil flow, you use more oil.

'Course
all you need to do is add a little Motor Honey or
STP additive.

Or just use bar & chain oil to start with....

Bottom line: motor oil is cheaper, but you use more of it. I'm guessing it's
about even, price-wise.

That isn't true either, standard brands of motor
oil are more expensive unless you find a really
good sale.

In that case, what possible point is there in using motor oil? More expensive,
and you need more of it, equals "bad idea" from where I stand.

Then there's your suggestion of adding STP... making a more-expensive
alternative even *more* expensive. I'm having trouble understanding why anyone
would want to do that...

--
Regards,