DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
wrote:
Hmm ... do you know what CPU it uses?

8080

As for the pins -- they may be *called* different things, but
I'll bet that they are the same as RS-232 anyway. Just for starters,
the "data-in" and "data-out" pins -- are those by any chance pins 2 and
3 (or perhaps reverse order)? The others could be the standard
handshaking pins -- DTR, DSR, RTS, CTS, DCD, RI and the like.

yeah, but does RS232 have 1 in, 1 out, (data), plus 2 data IN (the
record and play buttons are wired directly to the connector)... I
don't think this is RS232. I have the schematic.

O.K. I just did a web search, and this should tell you what
you need to know:

http://faculty.etsu.edu/hemphill/ent...mill/chp14.htm

Note in particular the first sentence on that page:

"The Anilam Crusader II has an RS-232 communications port for
serial communications between various storage devices (PC, paper
tape punch/reader, printers, cassette, etc.)."

So -- *this* says that the Crusader II uses RS-232 to talk to the
cassette drive (among other things)

It goes on to tell you how to set the parameter for the RS-232
communications (with AUX codes).

And the next page up will tell you a lot of other things about
your Anilam Crusader II which you might not yet know:

http://faculty.etsu.edu/hemphill/entc3710/ani-mill/

It even reminds me of the format of the variable referencing, such as:

G29 LV43=1.5

being used to set a variable in G-code (or just V43 from the front
panel), and IIRC, something like:

G01 V43 V44, V45

would do a move to the location stored in those three variables. (Of
course, those variable are already used by the canned cycles, but others
(higher numbers) were not yet in use, so you could generate your own
canned cycle to increment the angle and the distance, and thus generate
the spiral directly in the machine. (Obviously experiment with no
cutters and well clear of the anything to test the idea first.)

And -- you would need a way to test whether you were done, or it
would simply keep getting larger, so there was a need to test for done.
For that, I would have to play with the machine again to perhaps recover
that information.

But -- this gives you hope -- at least of talking to the PC via
the RS-232. Note that the people who wrote that web page used a switch
box to switch between cassette tape, computer, and perhaps a printer or
a punched tape reader or punch.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564