John P Bengi

Leave the child alone. He doesn't know anything.

"George Ghio" wrote in message

wmbjk wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:54:27 +1000, George Ghio
wrote:

wmbjk wrote-

What a surprise, not so much of a whiff of information about the topic
at hand. I suggest that it's only fair when criticizing others, that
you ought to be explaining how *you* handle supplying power to an
off-grid workshop. Especially since you're cross-posting to a group
that isn't familiar with your claims of being both an expert welder
*and* a "solar power consultant". Here, let me help you...

George believes that after professing to have a couple of decades
experience as a professional in the solar biz, that it makes infinite
sense that he's hauled some 15 *tons* of fuel to his own place
(without even counting wood for space heating), and must start a
generator for any load over a few hundred Watts. He's also of the
opinion that many of society's ills can be traced to a dependence on
powered devices (as in: anything *he* doesn't have), and says he wants
for nothing on one (1) kWhr per day. That's $3 per month electricity
for you grid-connected folks. While most off-grinders who live in an
area as sunny as George's quickly learn the benefits of solar water
heating, George intends to wait for the concept to be proven before
spending a few hundred bucks on it. And most important of all, he
absolutely can't stand to hear about people who've done it better,
which is just about everyone else. Which explains why he's found
bitter fault with most of the regulars in the energy groups. Does that
about cover the high points George? You're welcome.

Wayne

The fact that TMT has had an overload of help with the subject

OPs come and go, and the discussion goes on. But it's obvious that you
had absolutely nothing to offer in the thread even *before* this
so-called overload of help. That's for the simple reason that your
idea of a powering an off-grid workshop, is to buy and fuel a
generator. Which in your lingo, makes everyone who's ever used a
generator to power a remote job site or camp site, a "solar power
consultant".

a warning about your own incompetence

Warnings from you are worth slightly less than warnings about the
necessity for tinfoil hats.

I am sure that he has already
worked out that he will have to decide what to do to suit his own needs.

No, it wouldn't matter if he came back specifically to ask you for
details. All you can offer is: "I've been using a generator for 20
years, and it really ****es me off that so many people have managed
things that I cannot".

Your fictions are only the mutterings of a sad case who still can not
post a sensable account of his energy use let alone anyone else's.

I've lived in, and worked out of, an actual solar/wind powered home
and workshop for nearly ten years. Both have the amenities that most
people consider "normal", and together they require about 50 gallons
of backup fuel per year. A respected regular in the energy newsgroups
has publicly affirmed my descriptions of our place after visiting
here. The only fiction is from a bitter old Aussie fart who doesn't
like having to admit that his own so-called "solar powered" home in
fact gets the majority of its power from burning fuel that must be
hauled in, a situation he apparently hopes to ameliorate by
criticizing anyone who's done better.

Wayne

Ok Wayne, we will try again.

I have on several occasions posted my entire energy use. Accounting for
every fuel and source of energy, laid out by the day, week, month and

year.

I am able to do so because I: 1) designed my system to meet my needs,
and 2) monitor my system.

OTOH you have failed to be able to define your two days of autonomy (at
the also nondisclosed reduced level of use) let alone what your energy
use is for everything.

The truth is that no one in their right mind would or indeed should take
advice from a person who can not define some thing as simple as days of
autonomy.

You have no idea, have never had an idea, will never have an idea what
your system uses or produces. Let alone define your entire energy use
for all applications. Yet you claim tens years experiance. Which is just
half as long as I have been off grid.

Hence the warning about your advice. The warning stands as valid.