Rex B

You sound like me. I have a weakness for little lathes.
Currently I have the 9" Logan, 10" Enco, and a 6" antique AA

Did you see this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:DS:US:28

This is a Craftsman lathe, late model.
Says it's Austrian?
First I've heard of this one.

This one is also interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Scratch-built by a machinist.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus30369 wrote:

I think that I will get rid of my Clausing 100 series lathe, and will
look for something bigger.

Guys told me to get a real lathe, stop fiddling with that toy SB9. So I bought a
nice Cincinnati 15x30" Hydrashift, ran beautifully, real nice machine. I had
them both under power in my shop for about 3 years. I used the South Bend
whenever I could, because I'm used to it and I like it. When I did machining for
money (the few times I did) of course I used the big machine. Took up a lot of
floor space and it cost me big bucks. I recently sold it, and have never
regretted it. I still use my SB9 all the time. I think that will be one of the
last machines I sell when I get old or whatever. I'm *not* a pro machinist, just
a guy with a shop, though.

I like having multiple sizes available. My largest is
noticeably smaller than your big one -- only a 12x24" Clausing. But I
also have (and use), in order of size:

1) Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC (5" swing). Nice when cutting metric
threads or dimensions, and nice when doing a lot of something
complex.

2) Taig -- manual lathe, usually used with watchmaker's spindle
an collets. Nice for smaller workpieces where the higher
spindle speed is a big help.

3) Unimat SL-1000 -- also usually used with a watchmaker's spindle
for tiny workpieces.

On a recent project, I used all three of these (and not the
bigger Clausing). But -- I would not get rid of the Clausing, either.

Enjoy,
DoN.