Will

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:15:29 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

That's a model C lathe (no X or Y powerfeeds at all), ways look pretty worn, no
indication of spindle bearing condition or if the spindle's bent or if the
headstock gears are pitted. Clearly doesn't have a quickchange toolpost, looks
like there might be a steady rest, dog driver plate and some threading change
gears underneath, looks like a partially-completed MLA T-slot cross-slide table
on the shelf behind. The lathe is mixed in with a little bit of machinist
tooling and a lot of oil and chips. How much it's worth is very dependent on
condition, and if there isn't any indication, a buyer has to assume the worst.
Neglecting that, in areas with lots of machinery available, the price might be
in the $450-800 range. Out on the prairie or in the Deep South, where there
isn't as much machinery available, probably a bit more. Lot of stuff down there
has rust on it, which you hate to see, means stuff has been badly neglected.

In Seattle I wouldn't offer more than $250 for it, just to part it out. Unless I
knew its spindle bearings and spindle were OK and the backgears were all OK too,
then I might go $500.

Best I can do from photos, good luck to whomever. Gunner's a good guy, but he
doesn't have room for it. Please don't give it to him!

Grant Erwin

Hi Grant,

Are you serious? $ 450? ( I won't even mention $800 ) I've thrown
away better looking lathes than this. Sorry, no disrespect to the OP
or owner.

Is it because it's an antique?

I guess I will have to look at non cnc prices more carefully and get
rid of some excess equipment. Think I've still got an old SB or Logan
around here somewhere.

Will