wanderer

Default Electric pylons... are they noisy?

"Terry" wrote in message
John wrote:

"Lionel" wrote in message
Hello,

We're planning to move soon but noticed there are overhead electric

pylons
in some parts of the town... health and aesthetic issues aside, we are

also
concerned about the fizzy and/or buzzing noise they are said to make.

Anyone confirm this and suggest at what distance the noise should be
inaudible?

The buzzing is only the sound of the air molecules being torn apart by

the
electric stress on them and is often accompanied by a blue glow in the
dark. The phenomena is know as corona. the range of the sound depends on
atmospheric conditions to a great extent but I would suggest its a bit

like
living next to a railway line - you soon get used to the sound

Then there are those unsubstantiated stories about people living
near power transmission lines having higher rates of cancer!
Nothing proven or factual AFIK? And that discussion has been
going on for years!

The 'official' line is that nothing has been proved. I worked in the
industry for 35 years, and whilst I would think nothing of wandering around
a major substation, I wouldn't pick a house near a transmission line. I
guess that's personal choice, but I still sometimes get the hairs on the
back of my neck rising when I drive under a 275 or 400kv line. Oh, and BTW,
they're towers, not pylons!)

I understand that all high voltage system fizz/buzz especially in
damp/foggy weather. A rare occurrence in Britain?
If one of those big/long high voltage glass/ceramic insulators
developed a fault (Rare, as I understand it, unless someone
shoots at them etc.) there can be sparks across them or to an
adjacent wire and or the metal or wooden poles. But it's nothing
to worry about. I wouldn't park under/near them though!

I recollect quite by chance parking many years ago under a 275kv line on a
damp and misty morning, waiting for a line crew to turn up - we were
escorting an abnormally high load. I hopped out of the car, and got quite a
belt from induced voltage.