Norminn

Travis Jordan wrote:
Jim wrote:

A contractor has bid on my home roof repair using Elk Premium Roofing.
A brand I'm not familiar with. Anyone with first hand experience
with this?

Elk is a widely used brand here in Florida. I put a 3 tab 30 year
dimensional shingle on my roof about 10 years ago and it is still doing
fine. As in all roof jobs, the preparation of the surface and
installation is as important as the material.

We had Elk Prestique Plus installed on our condo in '97. Mansards on
roof. Shingles not nailed on nailing line. Some roof vents plugged,
which I insisted on checking but was only discovered recently. Shingles
fell off by the dozens. Roofer, after 3 or 4 callbacks, did major
"re-do". City has since required adhesive under tabs on mansards. On
the last re-do, they glued down tabs. Finally seem to be staying in
place. During the last hurricane, our neighbors lost lots of shingles
and concrete tiles. Not us )

Our roof was originally concrete tile, and these are dark brown
shingles. Not a great color here, IMO. Between improper nailing, high
heat and almost vertical lie, the weight probably was too much for our
roof. Nailing 1/4" over the nailing line means you catch only the top
1/4" of the top layer of the shingle.