Jim

Default Elk Premium Roofing

A contractor has bid on my home roof repair using Elk Premium Roofing.
A brand I'm not familiar with. Anyone with first hand experience with this?

Travis Jordan

Jim wrote:
A contractor has bid on my home roof repair using Elk Premium Roofing.
A brand I'm not familiar with. Anyone with first hand experience
with this?

Elk is a widely used brand here in Florida. I put a 3 tab 30 year
dimensional shingle on my roof about 10 years ago and it is still doing
fine. As in all roof jobs, the preparation of the surface and
installation is as important as the material.

Norminn

Travis Jordan wrote:
Jim wrote:

A contractor has bid on my home roof repair using Elk Premium Roofing.
A brand I'm not familiar with. Anyone with first hand experience
with this?

Elk is a widely used brand here in Florida. I put a 3 tab 30 year
dimensional shingle on my roof about 10 years ago and it is still doing
fine. As in all roof jobs, the preparation of the surface and
installation is as important as the material.

We had Elk Prestique Plus installed on our condo in '97. Mansards on
roof. Shingles not nailed on nailing line. Some roof vents plugged,
which I insisted on checking but was only discovered recently. Shingles
fell off by the dozens. Roofer, after 3 or 4 callbacks, did major
"re-do". City has since required adhesive under tabs on mansards. On
the last re-do, they glued down tabs. Finally seem to be staying in
place. During the last hurricane, our neighbors lost lots of shingles
and concrete tiles. Not us )

Our roof was originally concrete tile, and these are dark brown
shingles. Not a great color here, IMO. Between improper nailing, high
heat and almost vertical lie, the weight probably was too much for our
roof. Nailing 1/4" over the nailing line means you catch only the top
1/4" of the top layer of the shingle.

Travis Jordan

Norminn wrote:
Our roof was originally concrete tile, and these are dark brown
shingles. Not a great color here, IMO. Between improper nailing,
high heat and almost vertical lie, the weight probably was too much
for our roof. Nailing 1/4" over the nailing line means you catch
only the top 1/4" of the top layer of the shingle.

Doesn't changing the mansard from tile to asphalt shingles 'cheapen' the
neighborhood?

Jim

Norminn wrote:

We had Elk Prestique Plus installed on our condo in '97. Mansards on
roof. Shingles not nailed on nailing line. Some roof vents plugged,
which I insisted on checking but was only discovered recently. Shingles
fell off by the dozens. Roofer, after 3 or 4 callbacks, did major
"re-do". City has since required adhesive under tabs on mansards. On
the last re-do, they glued down tabs. Finally seem to be staying in
place. During the last hurricane, our neighbors lost lots of shingles
and concrete tiles. Not us )

Our roof was originally concrete tile, and these are dark brown
shingles. Not a great color here, IMO. Between improper nailing, high
heat and almost vertical lie, the weight probably was too much for our
roof. Nailing 1/4" over the nailing line means you catch only the top
1/4" of the top layer of the shingle.

Sounds like a contractor issue.

John Willis

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:08:48 -0400, Jim scribbled
this interesting note:

A contractor has bid on my home roof repair using Elk Premium Roofing.
A brand I'm not familiar with. Anyone with first hand experience with this?

Do a Google search in this group with Elk as a search parameter.
You'll find more than one such question about Elk products (and
practices) answered...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
tom

Norminn wrote: snip City has since required adhesive under tabs on
mansards. snip

I'm betting the instructions on each shingle bundle also has that
recommendation. Tom

Jim

John Willis wrote:

Do a Google search in this group with Elk as a search parameter.
You'll find more than one such question about Elk products (and
practices) answered...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

I did, that's why I'm asking here for more appropriate details.
TURTLE

"Jim" wrote in message ...
A contractor has bid on my home roof repair using Elk Premium Roofing. A brand
I'm not familiar with. Anyone with first hand experience with this?

This is Turtle.

Yes , in 2002 I had my roof done with Elk Good stuff 45 year stuff. My Roofer
called me 2004 and said there was a recall of the shingles of my type. he filled
out a form and Elk sent me a check to totally replace my shingles and did not
require me to do the job. They just canceled the warranty on my shingles and
said when I change my shingle out. i would get a new warranty. So I got
$3,800.00 and my shingle job still good. I will wait and see if i have any
trouble.

With this I would say Elk Premium roofing would good to deal with.

TURTLE

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

If true turt, (and i have no reason to doubt you) then Elk is a quality,
class act beyond reproach.
Most supliers spend way too much $$ ducking waranty issues instead of doing
as you suggest.

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"TURTLE" wrote in message
.. .

"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

Norminn

tom wrote:
Norminn wrote: snip City has since required adhesive under tabs on
mansards. snip

I'm betting the instructions on each shingle bundle also has that
recommendation. Tom

My limited education about roofing began with our shingles falling off
constantly. Instructions at the time did not mention mansards. They
had the correct number of nails, but just not nailed on the line. I
would not choose the same shingle again, but that is just me. I didn't
know, until last year, that concrete tiles can blow off a roof. There
are still shingles lying in the street around these parts, and it is
hurricane season again )

The contractor has been in biz a long time, good reputation, and good
about coming back. PIA for him, too, I suspect. Hubby was building
manager at the time, and we have had very good relationships with
contractors. Few problems, and good responses.

Norminn

Travis Jordan wrote:
Norminn wrote:

Our roof was originally concrete tile, and these are dark brown
shingles. Not a great color here, IMO. Between improper nailing,
high heat and almost vertical lie, the weight probably was too much
for our roof. Nailing 1/4" over the nailing line means you catch
only the top 1/4" of the top layer of the shingle.

Doesn't changing the mansard from tile to asphalt shingles 'cheapen' the
neighborhood?

It looks like crap, but that is just my taste. Bought in low, land
values are going nuts. Nobody here worried that the place will fall
down because somebody wants the land ) One guy bought two units,
after us. The first unit, purch. 2001 for 140K, sold 2004 for 315K.
Second unit, purch. 2003 for 180K, sold 11 months later for 286K. Is
that 281K profit? Haven't met anyone yet who would not throw their
mother in as part of the deal ) The current condo board pres. has a
daughter who is a realtor. Doing some fixing-up, has half a clue what
the building needs, but focus on cosmetic stuff. Flat sections of roof
need repair, but it doesn't show )

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
rolled roofing removal NewRoofer Home Repair 5 February 10th 04 04:41 PM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Repair 7 July 9th 03 12:12 AM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Ownership 5 July 9th 03 12:12 AM
Ok to apply second rolled roofing over first? Fred Home Repair 2 July 2nd 03 06:19 PM