Jon Bergstrom

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:13:23 -0500, "RAM^3"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:36:02 -0500, "RAM^3"
wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, Morphine Sulfate doesn't keep you from
_feeling_
pain but just keeps you from being _aware_ of it.

A patient on it will, although unconscious, still cry out from pain
although, upon regaining consciousness, not be aware of it.

From the patient's POV it's great stuff -unless you get too much of it.
[Withdrawl is no fun at all.]

Ok......so how does it work on conscious patients? Im allergic to
Demeral, so MS is my post surgery drug of choice and have been on it
many times. Its a most effective pain killer when Im awake.

As I said earlier - the patient may _actually experience_ pain but be
totally _unaware_ of it.

MS, properly administered, is _still_, IMHO, the most effective anti-pain
med available.

A bit of trivia: Researchers once thought that their efforts to develop a
non-addictive form of MS were successful when, after testing it upon
themselves, no indication of addictive properties was found. They named
their new morphine derivative Heroin.

I have been told the MS suppresses steady pain, which is why MS cough
medicine worked so well. MS will ease the pain of a broken arm, but it
will still hurt if someone moves it!
Jon

Anything being cooked a second time needs a hot oven.