Pedro

Building codes in Lexington require 18" W footers 42" below grade thus a
total of 42" depth by 18" wide. That means that using an 18" wide footer and
the bottom is at 42" from the top of your finished elevation you will meet
the building code. This is determined by the frost line and as previous
people have indicated that is around 30" here in Kentucky. If you are
building a pole barn I'd rent a two man auger, sink my holes 48", stand my
poles plumb and fill with concrete to the top. Obviously you will have
previously determined the wind direction and positioned the barn so that the
least amount of eave under hang is getting the most general amount of wind.

Having built my share of pole sheds in windy N Texas I can tell you that if
you have a roof with an open area that will catch the wind it WILL catch the
wind and become a huge sail. Sinking the poles just in earth is OK but with
the termites here in KY the concrete gives you that much extra protection
from those nasty creatures.

Pedroman

"Richard Ferguson" wrote in message
This Kentucky source indicates a frost line of 30", but you would still
be best asking the local practices from the local building inspector, as
frost lines can vary. The frost line is more or less arbitary, but is
intended to cover most years. In a really cold year the frost can go
lower and freeze pipes.

http://www.crestviewhills.com/pdf/checklist_decks.pdf

Richard

wrote:
I am goign to build a pole barn. I need to extend the posts 6 inches
below the frost line. How do I find out what the frost line is for my
area?