I think that 2 feet is not enough. I would go for at least three feet
and depending on how big your barn is I would use bigger poles too. It
is not all that hard to put the poles in the holes. Just dig out to
the side of the hole a shallow trench about six inches deep and maybe
three feet long. Roll the pole so the end in over the hole and the
pole is in line with the trench. Lift on the top end and walk toward
the hole.

For telephone poles put a two by six in the hole for the end of the
pole to rest against and use a couple of come-a-longs so that the pole
will not pivot sideways.

Dan