Richard Savage

Default Polishing scratches out of glass

BigWallop wrote:
"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
om...

At some point in the past someone has overenthusiatically sanded the
window frames of my house, and managed to put small scratches around
the edges of nearly all the windows. I'd like to polish the scratches
out, and I've done some research through the archives to discover that
jewellers' rouge is the stuff to get.

But I've also found this available from Screwfix
What do the panel think? Anyone tried it? Seems to come with quite a
small amount of 'polishing powder' and they don't sell the powder by
itself.

Or would this stuff be any good?

I'd go with this one http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=21851&id=30347
as the metal polishing powder might be a bit to abrasive for glass. Toothpaste on a
buffing pad is also ideal for glass because it isn't to abrasive either, and it leaves
a lovely smell in the room. :-)

Frost Auto Restorers sell a kit that is claimed to polish scratches out
of car windscreens etc. I don't know if my scratches are too deep or I
didn't press hard enough - little concerned that I might find out how
much a Range Rover windscreen cost! - but it didn't work for me. So I'd
love to hear how you get on with whatever you choose to use because I
still have the scratches!

Richard

--
Real email address is RJS at BIGFOOT dot COM