Larry Jaques

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 01:43:46 -0700, the opaque "Harold and Susan
Vordos" spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

It's quite similar to LimeAway, which should also work. Then again, a
gallon of muriatic acid was only $3.65 from the farm store here, and
it works well on stubborn toilet rust stains.

The problem with using HCL for such an application is that it will encourage
anything ferrous this in the proximity to rust, even when it never makes
intimate contact with the acid. When I refined, I used it by the drum.
In spite of the fact that I kept a negative pressure in the lab at almost
all times, there wasn't anything ferrous that didn't have surface rusting,
even stainless. It is correspondingly hard on aluminum, zinc and other
metals. Personally, I wouldn't use it on anything I cherished. It does
make a great rust remover, but it doesn't limit itself to oxidized iron.
Given enough time, it will completely dissolve steel.

Isn't that why it's neutralized after treatment, Harold?

What is your preferred derusting method now?

What do you think of Salt 'n Vinegar water?

-- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --