wmbjk

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:11:15 +1000, George Ghio
wrote:

wmbjk wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:30:17 +1000, George Ghio
wrote:

Good timing George, Pete has mentioned that he's going to build a
solar water-heating system in the near future. As you're a *solar*
power consultant, I expect you'll want to offer some tips for his
project. Oh darn, I just remembered, you've written that
propane-fueled water heating is more "appropriate". OK then, just tell
him how many pounds of fuel you've hauled during your time off-grid,
and how much cheaper and smarter you believe that is over his plan of
spending a few bucks and some time fabricating a system.

I assume you'll be explaining how that differs from what most people
do, why welding at night is better, and how when you're drawing 400
Amps, it makes a big difference whether or not your 60 Amps of PV is
lit....

The thread is titled "workshop in a alternate home power environment",
and it has included some discussion about welding in an off-grid
workshop. Since you're a self-described expert welder who also claims
nearly two decades of success in the professional "designing" of solar
power setups, it would seem you're the perfect person to share with
everyone exactly how you handle welding at your own place. I'm sure
Pete and many others would be interested to hear how a
"professional's" system could handle his Miller Syncrowave 250, and
exactly how much of your daily energy production is available for
power tools in general.

Wayne

Ah, Wayne speaks again.

Wayne, I would suggest that utill you can actually supply the numbers
for the system you tout as a marvel of your design prowess that you
forgo giving advice.

What a surprise, not so much of a whiff of information about the topic
at hand. I suggest that it's only fair when criticizing others, that
you ought to be explaining how *you* handle supplying power to an
off-grid workshop. Especially since you're cross-posting to a group
that isn't familiar with your claims of being both an expert welder
*and* a "solar power consultant". Here, let me help you...

George believes that after professing to have a couple of decades
experience as a professional in the solar biz, that it makes infinite
sense that he's hauled some 15 *tons* of fuel to his own place
(without even counting wood for space heating), and must start a
generator for any load over a few hundred Watts. He's also of the
opinion that many of society's ills can be traced to a dependence on
powered devices (as in: anything *he* doesn't have), and says he wants
for nothing on one (1) kWhr per day. That's $3 per month electricity
for you grid-connected folks. While most off-grinders who live in an
area as sunny as George's quickly learn the benefits of solar water
heating, George intends to wait for the concept to be proven before
spending a few hundred bucks on it. And most important of all, he
absolutely can't stand to hear about people who've done it better,
which is just about everyone else. Which explains why he's found
bitter fault with most of the regulars in the energy groups. Does that
about cover the high points George? You're welcome.

Wayne