Dave Plowman (News)

I'm looking for a supplier that sells a small red led gauge(3 or 4
led) that I will use to read voltage coming from the oxygen sensor in
my car. The guage pictured below is accurate to .001 volt, runs off
of 8-15volts. The voltage output from the oxygen sensor is usually
between .1 volt and 1.00 volt, and changes rapidly). The red LEDs are
bright enough to read in sunlight, so it can be mounted on my
dashboard.

I don't know much about electronics so I'm not sure what kind of
circuit is used to make such a readout work. I'd appreciate any ideas
or suggestions about this. Why don't I buy the one pictured? Well, at
$69.00 + $9.95 shipping, it seems a bit high. I'm thinking more in the
$5-10 range.

My thoughts would be along the lines of using an LED VU meter originally
designed to measure sound levels. With an instrument grade OP amp on the
front end to provide a high impedance input. And probably some mods to
make the input to the VU device DC coupled.

But you'd not do this for near $10

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.