JimL

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:07:20 GMT, (Beachcomber)
wrote:

On 6 Jun 2005 14:35:11 GMT, Ignoramus23410
wrote:

On 06 Jun 2005 14:19:45 GMT, badgolferman wrote:
Ignoramus23410, 6/6/2005, 9:58:12 AM, wrote:

I need to run about 100-120 feet of cat5e cable to connect our bedroom
to the utility room where the network switch, DSL router etc is. I
ALSO need to run a phone cable, from utility room to the same
bedroom. I am wondering if all 8 wires on a cat5e cable are used for
Ethernet purposes, and if that is not the case, is there a couple I
could use for phone. That way I could save $$ and time by running one
cable instead of two.

Cat 5 is fine for phone and Cat 5 is fine for Ethernet, but it is bad
practice to mix the two on the same cable. If at any time you have
phone or Ethernet connection problems, you will need to know what
arcane way the system was wired and it can make testing difficult
unless you have good diagrams. The problem becomes more severe as the
complexity of your system grows.

I'm not saying it won't work and it may be the cheapest way to go, but
a Wiring Pro wouldn't do it that way.

Beachcomber

I concur.
Pull two cat 5 cables while you are at it and use one of them for
phone and the other for computer. The cable is very cheap now.