JohnM

Edw wrote:
"jimpgh2002" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:25:45 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
| You act as if the earth is a living entity
|
| and if you cannot see that it is, I am sorry.
| This is a giant rock we live on, surrounded
| by a life-form. A living planet. The dirt,
| trees, water, air are all living. Without life
| you have no dirt (you have sand, dust),
| air: created by the living trees that
| eat the living dirt.
|
| Yes, the earth is a living entity.
|
| Rich

Lets step back a bit and look at the really, really big picture. The
earth is out in very cold space, receiving heat constantly from a very hot
sun. On the inside of the earth it's really, really, f'in' hot too. Every
now and then something happens with the inside of the earth and it burps up
a little of that really, really hot stuff, along with megatons of truly
awful noxious fumes that not even the environmentalists can whine about, and
what that burp puts out in just one day man takes hundreds of years to
create. So far life has managed to continue long before man ever came
along, great environmental disasters or not, and will continue for long
afterwards. Can you blame man for the extinction of the dinosaurs? How
many species ceased to exist in the millions of years before you ever popped
out full of gloom and doom in a viewpoint that can barely cover a hundred
years?
I'm convinced that if the earth ever cooks/cools off, it will have done
it without our help, because we'd have been gone millions of years already.
I came across a National Geographic from quite awhile back that was full
of very convincing scientists, showing lots of glossy and convincing data,
pretty pictures, and after I read it through the first time, I read it
again, substituting the two words "global cooling" with the currently
popular term of "global warming." Didn't read much different, that's for
sure.
If it you had no job, but could get one by saying the sky was falling,
then you'd likely make sure you keep that job, and push for its continued
existence. Would you want to put yourself out of work? Do you think those
scientists who harken that the sky is falling want to go have to look for a
job where they have actually have to be right to make a living? They can
baffle you and the politicians with bull**** and since most of us don't see
through the scam, we cough up more money.

Stop, you're making too much sense and may disillusion the
fear mongers.

The genius strikes again.
Earth evolved with active volcanoes. Life has adapted.
That leaves aside two facts; 1) Volcanic activity has not been shown to have an enduring effect on worldwide climate; 2) No natural process redistributes carbon at anything approaching the level humans now do.

If all the climatological research came "from the government" I'd be interested to know why "the government" is funding work by scientists abroad. I'd also like to know why the government has now taken to censoring the work of the scientists they employ. Last, I think you smart types should explain why, if it is natural that gov't. workers cobble up crises to ensure their job security, we should not just conclude that police invent crime, the Pentagon provokes wars and the Dept. of Homeland Security invents terrorist threats?

Is no argument too shallow and risible for your endorsement?

I would say that the police are certainly involved in inventing new ways
of applying the term "criminal" to the behavior of the people. They're
not the only ones to blame, the courts and legislature are also involved.

For your other two questions, I'll say that I believe recent history has
demonstrated them to be true; Colin Powell, as Chairman of the Joint
Chiefs, telling stories intended to produce war, later shown to be
unlikely stories at best.. that's a good one.

What about the Homeland Security story suggesting people run out and
tape/plastic their house? There's a good example.

How could foreign terrorists cause trouble here in an easier fashion
than by our having such an organization dedicated to spreading messages
from them? This "Homeland Security" bull**** is bull****, those people
have no ability to affect a foreign terrorist whatsoever but they sure
have the ability to affect an American- and not to his benefit.

And what's the result, once we become accustomed to the warnings and
they are no longer significant? How do these people demonstrate to
themsleves that they have some importance? It won't be by going out and
tracking down some foreign terrorist, it'll be by finding ways to call
American citizens terrorists. What's the difference between that and the
creative actions of the police? There's not much chance of trial by
one's peers, that's the difference.

Perhaps that doesn't bother you, I don't know..

John