al

100base-T uses two of the four pairs. However, if you're thinking of
upgrading to 1000base-T, you'd be out of luck - gigabit ethernet uses all
four pairs and requires cat6.

I'd choose one of two options:

- Go wireless for both the phone (800mhz/2Ghz) and network (with
encryption)

- Run two separate cables (one being cat6) and be done with it

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/tech_lan.htm

AL

"Ignoramus23410" wrote in message
I need to run about 100-120 feet of cat5e cable to connect our bedroom
to the utility room where the network switch, DSL router etc is. I
ALSO need to run a phone cable, from utility room to the same
bedroom. I am wondering if all 8 wires on a cat5e cable are used for
Ethernet purposes, and if that is not the case, is there a couple I
could use for phone. That way I could save $$ and time by running one
cable instead of two.