badgolferman

Ignoramus23410, 6/6/2005, 10:35:11 AM, wrote:

On 06 Jun 2005 14:19:45 GMT, badgolferman
wrote:
Ignoramus23410, 6/6/2005, 9:58:12 AM,
wrote:

I need to run about 100-120 feet of cat5e cable to connect our

bedroom to the utility room where the network switch, DSL router
etc is. I ALSO need to run a phone cable, from utility room to the
same bedroom. I am wondering if all 8 wires on a cat5e cable are
used for Ethernet purposes, and if that is not the case, is there
a couple I could use for phone. That way I could save $$ and time
by running one cable instead of two.

CAT5e cable is usually used for 100Mbit connections which require
only four wires. However this cable has also been used for 1000Mbit
connections which do require all eight conductors. If you don't
plan on using Gigabit then you should be okay.

That's cool, I have no gigabit plans at the moment. Question of the
day is, then, which wires are used. I understand that I could pick any
wires as long as I connect them to the jack properly. I use Leviton
jacks from Home Depot.

http://www.la-cable.com/telephone_te...ring%20guide%2
0(TIA%20568B%20or%20AT&T)
or
http://tinyurl.com/9yjwr

--
No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too
seriously.