Luke

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:27:05 GMT, (v) wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:22:31 GMT, someone wrote:

David W. wrote:
How could asphalt shingles be nailed over the top of slate?

With a hammer.

LOL, ya beat me to it. (Nowadays, it might be "with a nail gun".)

I used to live outside of Rochester, NY in a "Queen Anne", which many
people might call a "Victorian". In that part of the US, houses of
that era as a dime a dozen.

About 20 years ago when I lived in New Jersey I watched in horror as
my next door neighbors had a contractor put asphalt shingles over
slate on their Craftsman home. It was sad 'cause the original slate
wasn't in such bad shape, just needed some patching. And when I asked
my neighbors why they did it they said they couldn't find anyone to do
slate. It was too late for me to give them the names of several
roofers in the area who still did slate.

--
Luke
"Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by
-- The Downing Street Memo, July 23, 2002
http://www.downingstreetmemo.com