John Fields

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:04:03 GMT, Rich Grise
wrote:

(and the "lame" crack came about by your accolade of "Good one, J..."
for merely expressing an invitation to do a web search that took me
all of about four seconds. Sorry, I just didn't think that it was
that great big a deal for a guy to say, "put your money where your
mouth is." I since have, and nobody seems to have noticed that I've
stumbled on a site that tells not only about the ten states of ice,
but also, get this:
---q---
Enthalpy of Vaporization [61]
45.054 kJ mol-1 (0°C), 40.657 kJ mol-1 (100°C)

Enthalpy of Fusion
6.0095 kJ mol-1 (0°C, 101.325 kPa) [60]
6.354 kJ mol-1 (81.6°C, 2150 MPa, ice VI) [535]

Enthalpy of Sublimation
51.06 kJ mol-1 (0°C)
---/q---
from amongst parameters that I didn't even know there were, at
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/data.html .)

Wait a minute! There's a picture of the triple-point!
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/data.html#d

Kewl! "(273.16 K "exactly ...) The triple point is the temperature and
pressure at which three phases (here liquid water, hexagonal ice, and
water vapor) coexist at equilibrium, and will transform phase with
suitable but tiny changes in temperature or pressure."

So, now, I guess I do! :-D

---
But only because Spehro laid that "triple point" clue on you. Had he
not, you'd still be thrashing around wondering what the hell was going
on, so instead of playing netcop and faulting him for daring to post
"accolades" to which you object, (that is, not posting in accordance
with your wishes) I think a nice "Thank you, Spehro!" is in order.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer