David W.

(Keith A. Schneider) wrote in news:d8pb85$bf4$1
@naig.caltech.edu:

Hi, I need some advice. I'm in the process of buying a Victorian house
in Rochester, NY. It needs some work, including a new roof. The roof
has tongue and groove sheathing boards (3/4 inch thick) that are still
in good condition (as seen from the attic) and a 45 degree (12:12)
pitch. The house originally had a slate roof. In fact, I just realized
by carefully examining a hole in the porch that the originaly slate roof
is still there, and 2 or 3 additional roofs seem to have been simply
nailed on top.

How could asphalt shingles be nailed over the top of slate?