Australopithecus scobis

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:57:05 -0700, David wrote:

If you've gotten one already, please share your "first on your block"
experiences with us.

Arrived today. Current guide is eclipse style, never had or used the Mk I
Veritas guide.

Setup is quick and easy. Chisel slid all over the place. Aligned a plane
blade with the jig. Checked it a couple of times during sharpening. (Had
to take off a bunch of metal to go from eclipse's "25 degrees" to Mk II's
"25 degrees".) Blade is so far off square that it has to be mounted
cockeyed in the plane. Hmm.

Went back and re-read the instructions. Clamping force has to
be equal for the bar to grip properly. Wording of the instructions is
telling: no firm, unmoving grip is promised. The lower jaw really needs a
pad of no-slip.

Instructions say to put drop of oil in indicated
spots. I worry about contaminating my waterstones.

Shape is very well designed. Curves and cutouts fit the hand. I did feel
some chafing while working with a 2" plane blade. Can't manage a
Kirby-style grip.

I'll be putting a bit of electrical tape on the jig's projection stop to
avoid nicks.

It's a huge improvement over the eclipse. I'd like to hear what Mk I
owners think of it.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com