lionslair at consolidated dot net

stanley baer wrote:

I have found several hundred feet of 8 AWG wire that I would like to
use to bring electricity to my shop that is 200' from my house. At the
moment I use a 3ph propane powered generator but it is expensive to run.

I plan to run the wire through a buried plastic conduit and have enough
wire to be able to have two of each of the power carrying conducters and
two ground conducters.

What will the current capacity be of this setup? (I realize it is
probably not up to code)

stan

Advise :

1. don't route close to any trees - lightening strikes and drives down the roots...
[ my dad had a strike and it melted both black tubing and the wire on the way to GND .]

2. use code underground conduit.

The yard light in this place was put in white plastic pipe. Plumbing pipe ? !
The ground fault is in several hundred feet of that pipe. Somewhere.

I guess old telephone grounded line tests will find the point, but the specs
of the wire are not known. So I'll have to dig the whole thing up.
It mingles with phone and water lines naturally...

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life