Unquestionably Confused

on 6/15/2005 4:03 PM Duane Bozarth said the following:
" wrote:

It appears that is the way I may have to go after doing some research,
I will look around here in the Dallas area and see if I can buy a
cabinet saw for a reasonable price.Thanks!

There's been a fellow on eBay in the Dallas area who obviously is
dealing in used equipment. Been several "wish I were closer"
auuctions...much Delta, Powematic, etc.

Keep your eye on the local papers, you just never know. I'd been
looking for a decent table saw for months and other than later model
Craftsmans found them to be very scarce.

A week ago, SWMBO, asked if I was still looking for a saw and pointed
out one she spied in the local fishwrap before I'd had a chance to get
it. I figured with an asking price of $375 it was either a potential
gloat or somebody had lost their mind and was looking to make a profit
on a used Sears or Ryobi.

Turns out the guy had an old Jet (blue cabinet) JCS-10 with a 2hp
220volt motor, magnetic switch. Checked it out and found that the
original fence was replaced with an Excalibur TT45. Missing the blade
guard and splitter (which I'll have to replace) but otherwise in decent
shape with not much apparent use. Top cleaned up nicely and found the
belts a bit nasty (probably more from lack of use by the looks of it) so
they were replaced.

Former owner was moving and downsizing and so MAY have the missing blade
guard and splitter somewhere. He said that if he didn't, he'd buy me a
new one. Doubt he realized they sell for about $120 so if push comes to
shove, I'll offer to split it with him. Hopefully, when all's said and
one I'll have a nice cabinet saw for about $450.00.

Does this qualify as a gloat? Even a minor one?

Now I have to decide - in the midst of all that's being bantered back
and forth about RAS what to do with my 34 year old (closest guess)
Craftsman RAS which has been the centerpiece of my garage and, later,
workshop. Between the real estate demands of the cabinet saw and the
RAS, things are going to get tight. I've got a nice CSMS which will
function quite nicely for 90% of my cross-cutting needs but, jeez guys,
that RAS is like an old friend. How can I banish it?

Done more than one could expect and did it rather well. Yeah, it's a
pain to align but I've found over the years unless I have a jam while
ripping (yep, do it all the time and never had a "shooter" and I still
have all my digits)it stays put. All I ever needed to do was set it up
properly and RTFM and adjust it for angles, etc. the same way each time.

Now, only having used my father's old guard-less, splitter-less, 8"
ancient (circa 1950) Craftsman table saw ages ago, I face using the new
cabinet saw with the same trepidation that others assign to using the
RAS. Maybe that's good. Familiarity and comfort contribute to
accidents in the shop almost as much as stupidity. I was never familiar
enough with the RAS to cut without the guards properly adjusted and
probably never will be so that's 99% of the battle won.