Anthony

stanley baer wrote in
:

I have found several hundred feet of 8 AWG wire that I would like to
use to bring electricity to my shop that is 200' from my house. At
the moment I use a 3ph propane powered generator but it is expensive
to run.

I plan to run the wire through a buried plastic conduit and have
enough wire to be able to have two of each of the power carrying
conducters and two ground conducters.

What will the current capacity be of this setup? (I realize it is
probably not up to code)

stan

IIRC, 8 is good for about 40 amps, in free air. Bury it in conduit, the
rating will go down. For a building that far away, you would probably be
better off just running a separate service for the garage. By the time
you purchase enough wire to run 200Ft with any appreciable load rating,
you have probably invested enough to install a separate service at the
garage.

--
Anthony

better idiots.