Keith A. Schneider

Default help, asphalt roof installed over slate

Hi, I need some advice. I'm in the process of buying a Victorian house
in Rochester, NY. It needs some work, including a new roof. The roof
has tongue and groove sheathing boards (3/4 inch thick) that are still
in good condition (as seen from the attic) and a 45 degree (12:12)
pitch. The house originally had a slate roof. In fact, I just realized
by carefully examining a hole in the porch that the originaly slate roof
is still there, and 2 or 3 additional roofs seem to have been simply
nailed on top.

I think a slate roof would be a good fit for this house, but I think it
is a bit out of my price range. Do you think it would be possible to
somehow recycle the existing slate that is there, or at least some of
it? The shingles that I could see through the hole didn't seem to be
cracked, but on of them had a nail through the middle. I was thinking
that if some fraction of these originaly slate tiles could be salvaged,
that would save money on a slate roof, and I might be able to afford it.

I've gotten several estimates for new roofs that seem to be fairly high
to me. With a complete tear-off and architectural shingles, I've been
quoted between $25,000 and $30,000. The roof area is 4200 square feet,
and there are three chimneys. If any experts are reading, does that
estimate sound reasonable? The selling agent had told me that he had
gotten an estimate from some guy for around $8000.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially concerning the old slate.

Thanks,

keith